Registration for Directions 2019 Coming Soon!
We’re in the midst of planning for Directions 2019 in Nashville, Tennessee, April 24-26, 2019, at the Gaylord Opryland Resort and this year’s event promises to be better than ever.
We believe that the extra planning will pay valuable dividends for those looking to understand the impact of regulatory changes on their business and successfully manage risk and increase performance under value-based care. Whether your role is financial, clinical or operational—Directions can help you maximize your use of MatrixCare to help you do your job more efficiently.
Whether you’re a MatrixCare Certified Professional or just beginning to discover what MatrixCare has to offer, Directions 2019 will have something for you. Multiple session tracks will cover everything from basic how-tos to advanced tips and tricks for getting the most from your MatrixCare solution.
See demos of our products, spend time with our product experts in the Genius Lab and explore our Partner Pavilion to learn about other helpful solutions that integrate seamlessly with MatrixCare.
And calling all technology leaders: This year, we’re kicking Directions off with a pre-conference Technology Forum for CTOs/CIOs, where we will address opportunities and concerns for this key audience.
Although our format is evolving, we’re still including opportunities for networking with your peers from across the LTPAC spectrum—including a country-themed party that combines MatrixCare’s famous hospitality with some boot-stompin’ fun.
Make sure you include Directions in your 2019 planning and watch for registration to open in November.
See you in Nashville!
What is KLAS and Why is it Important?
KLAS Research is an independent healthcare IT data and insights company providing the industry with accurate, honest, and impartial research on the software and services. Acute-care providers have relied upon KLAS input for years to guide their technology choices. Today, more and more LTPAC providers are understanding the value of KLAS rankings in helping them evaluate post-acute care technology.
The annual Best in KLAS report focuses on recognizing the software and service organizations that consistently excel in helping healthcare professionals deliver better patient care. The KLAS report and performance data reflect the collective voice of customers and is made possible by the many thousands of healthcare providers that take the time to share with KLAS their experiences and candid feedback about the reality of healthcare technologies and services. The research produced directly represents the provider voice and acts as a catalyst for improving vendor performance.
MatrixCare is proud to have been ranked “Best in KLAS for Long-Term Care Software” for the past two years and it’s our intention to continue to earn this designation by listening to our customers and always striving to provide best-in-class service and support.
Help us Celebrate Customer Service Month
Customer Service Employee Appreciation Month is a series of events we schedule to recognize and honor employees who have provided excellent customer service. We value our customers and believe an important part of delivering excellent customer service is recognizing employees that go above and beyond to support our goals and values!
We’d like to ask for your feedback on individuals that have provided you service in the past. We are recognizing employees who provide support/helpdesk, training, implementation, sales, tech services, finance, development or product management.
2018 R3 Release – Regulatory Updates
The 2018 R3 Release for SigmaCare by MatrixCare Care Management included several updates to ensure compliance with changes issued by CMS for MDS changes effective October 1, 2018.
Make sure your team is taking advantage of the new enhancements and functions available in to maintain your compliance.
- Clinical assessment questions that pre-populate the MDS are available to facilitate consistent data entry and reduce duplicate entry for sections C, D, E, F, GG, J, K, N, and O.
- As part of the 2018 R3 release, questions were added and updated for sections GG, J, and O.
If you’re not taking advantage of these questions, refer to the recording of the MDS 3.0 Changes for October 1st webinar available in Customer Connect to add them to your library today! If you make any updates to your clinical assessments, ensure that you review your facility’s MDS 3.0 Pre-population Configuration as well.
For a complete listing of the updates included in the release, access the 2018 R3 Release Tool Box available in Customer Connect.
Emergency Preparedness Review
Severe weather can pose a major threat potentially resulting in evacuation or sheltering protocols being put into place. It’s important to regularly review facility procedures to ensure preparedness in the event of an emergency situation.
We recommend visiting the Emergency Preparedness page we have created in Customer Connect to review our recommendations for managing the system effectively in the event of a power outage, lack of Internet connectivity, or evacuation.
If this is your first time accessing Connect, please CLICK HERE for instructions.
MyData now ready for SigmaCare – Lead Adopters Wanted!
MatrixCare MyData for SigmaCare is ready to begin Pilot testing and we are seeking a few customers to join us.
MyData provides the following value:
- Access to replicated SigmaCare source system tables -specifically tables of value for reporting use cases
- Attach your own licensed reporting or visualization software – such as Microsoft® Excel, PowerBI or SQL Server Management Studio.
- Create your own SQL queries to pull data sets that are customized to your needs
- Near real-time data refreshes – every 30 minutes in most cases
- Download MatrixCare data for inclusion in your own managed database.
Customers should consider the following questions before agreeing to test MyData:
- Do we want to extend the reporting that’s currently available in SigmaCare?
- Do we need to download MatrixCare data into our own database?
- Do we have the internal expertise to use MyData?
- Do we have a consultant we can hire to use MyData on our behalf?
- Is our SigmaCare data hosted by MatrixCare? (required to participate)
MyData is being used with success across other MatrixCare data sources such as HomeCare, Skilled Nursing and Senior Living to name a few. We are excited to offer MyData to our SigmaCare by MatrixCare customer base and get started with lead adopters so that we can complete testing and formally release the product in Q4 2018.
Please contact your Account Manager to learn more.
MatrixCare Claims Management Functionality is an ROI and Revenue Maximizing Game Changer!
At MatrixCare, we offer an outstanding Claims Management experience. We have guaranteed results and a proven Return on Investment that speaks volumes to those more unfortunate billers who are stuck working with the wide variety of our underperforming competitors in this industry.
We continue to hear from our prospects the nightmare they have working with each payer’s website or constantly uploading files of claims and remits here and there to complete their revenue cycle management process.
In this article, we will highlight 3 key areas that put the “O” in being “O”utstanding at claims:
- Automated Workflow
- Claims Management Statistics
- Advanced Available Features: Automated Secondary Billing, Denial Management, and Claims Management Acuity Analytics
1. Automated Workflow is a key differentiator. Why?
Talk about time savings and ease of use! With MatrixCare claims management, you save time since claims created arrive seamlessly into Claims Management where payer specific edits are applied prior to claim transmission. There is no need to create files of claims and then browse and upload them to the payer. And, likewise, for 835 remits, once these are issued, they arrive seamlessly into Claims Management and into the MatrixCare dashboard immediately alerting your cash experts to complete the automated distribution process. It’s a fact that new clients who utilize the MatrixCare Claims Management process and 835 remit auto distribution process are seeing an 80% reduction in time spent posting cash.
2. Claims Management Statistics are larger than ever! Did you know:
- MatrixCare clients transmit over 415,000 claims per month
- Electronic Connectivity is available to over 2,000 payers and grows weekly
- Our Claim Acceptance Rate month to month is consistently above 94% (that’s an A)!
- A team of over 30 people at Change Healthcare are dedicated to monitoring payer regulatory changes and managing updates to the edit process as a result
3. Advanced Available Features. Tell Me More:
Automated Secondary Billing, Denial Management, and Claims Analytics, OH MY!
Thanks to the advanced features embedded with our selected clearinghouse, we provide you the ability to automatically secondary bill your claims. Immediately after we receive an 835 from any payer that indicates a crossover did not occur, our system creates the secondary claim for you automatically using the original claim and remittance data, so all of the necessary information gets populated for correct and accurate payment. This process can not only save you time, but clients who utilize the automated secondary claims features are experiencing a cash flow improvement of up to 10 business days.
Denial Management is a something not all organizations find easy to tackle, but with MatrixCare Claims Management, you can configure the dashboard to call out and consolidate denials by denial reason codes allowing you to analyze the reasons you may not have been paid and easily take action to improve your process for the highest revenue potential reasons first. The embedded exceptions-based workflow allows you to focus on only those claims that need attention first. The ability to look across all lines of business at denials and denial reasons is so powerful, that some of our clients are assigning claims with specific denial reasons to specific billers who have specialized in addressing these particular types of denials. And with the configurations in Claims Management, this workflow is handled with ease and automation.
Claims Management Acuity Analytics has made an impact on clients with both a small and large number of facilities submitting claims and here’s why:
- It provides over 1500 data elements of claims and remit data to create reports on which is THE BEST standardized source of overall clinical and financial data (not to mention it’s also the claims data that CMS is tracking)
- You can analyze performance of both payers and employees
- It includes dashboards and trending which answer questions:
- Which payers are your worst performers who are having the highest revenue impact?
- Are my payers performing to standards agreed upon in the terms of our contracts?
- What are denied claims costing your organization?
- Are you handling managed care billing well?
MatrixCare continues to have a strong partnership with our clearing house provider, Change Healthcare, for 17 years. Together, we continue to navigate regulatory changes and industry challenges. We meet regularly and share the same passion of ensuring and maximizing cash flow and reimbursement for our clients.
Join us for a webinar to learn how to handle any scenario seamlessly and realize 94%+ claim acceptance rates, electronic connectivity to over 2,000 payers, and an improvement in cash flow by up to 10 business days. An introduction into automated, exception-based workflow paired with advanced functionality such as handling denials, productivity, and automating secondary claims will also be presented.
Wednesday | October 24
11:00 a.m. Eastern Time
Manage Dining P&L More Effectively
Dining/food service is typically one of the largest items on an organization’s P&L statement. Controlling costs while providing meal options that meet the diverse needs of residents can be frustrating. To navigate this challenge, managers need to be able to efficiently analyze cost and nutrition information to effectively plan and optimize dining services. This is critical to maintaining resident satisfaction and wellness.
Join us for a brief, 30-minute webinar and learn how to:
- Improve menu planning and costing
- Track what is served and gain insights to inform decision-making
- Capture lost revenue and avoid other potential losses
- Improve efficiency and resident satisfaction
MealTracker Releases New Malnutrition Risk Alert Feature!
MealTracker’s latest feature will help users identify RISK for Malnutrition! With our Malnutrition Risk Alert, a flag to users after
2 identifiers of malnutrition have been triggered. This can assist users to react timely to resident needs and avoid further decline.
Some tips where MealTracker users can make individual adjustments to avoid further decline:
- Providing additional calories or protein to meal trays
- Including between meal snacks
- Review of food preferences and food groups.
- Revisit consistency needs
- Adjust portion sizes
Using any BMI less than 19 with significant weight loss and any documented percent intake, a RED FLAG risk alert will appear on the Resident Profile. Additionally, MealTracker will be updating our alerting report to include Malnutrition Risk Alerts. The parameters behind a malnutrition risk alert are based on the ASPEN guidelines for clinical characteristics to diagnosing malnutrition which include; BMI, weight loss – reported as weight change over time as percentage weight lost from baseline, and poor energy intake when entered into MealTracker. Look for these 2 new areas enhanced with this feature:
- Resident profile:
Displays and malnutrition risk alert in the alerts section at the top of the profile.
- Alert Report:
Shows the weight alerts and if there is a malnutrition risk for any resident, includes the resident under the malnutrition risk alerts with their BMI
Dietary Managers and Registered Dietitians are key stewards of identifying malnutrition in LTPAC facilities. Having tools such as MealTracker to help identify this high risk diagnosis is MatrixCare’s goal. According to ASPEN, the five criteria for malnutrition include weight loss, low body mass index, reduced muscle mass, reduced food intake, and inflammation/disease burden. Having supporting documentation for at least 2 of these criteria will support the diagnosis of malnutrition.
Did You Know?
SigmaCare by MatrixCare can publish diet orders to MealTracker. The integration eliminates double data entry and enables you to automatically see updates to the resident profile for any Diet Order entries. This, in turn, will help to ensure the accuracy of diet information which eliminates manual entry into MealTracker saving time and money, ensuring resident safety and satisfaction, and processes for the dietary and clinical line staff will be more reliable and flow smoothly.
If you are interested in learning more about the integration or how you can implement MealTracker, contact your Account Manager today!
Are You Aware of All the Great Resources MatrixCare Has to Help Answer Your Questions and Fully Adopt the Software?
MatrixCare is committed to ensuring that you are maximizing the value of your investment and utilizing it to its full potential.
We offer several different resources to help you quickly answer questions you may have as well as training services that incorporate key adult-learning principles and role-based curriculums to minimize disruption in your daily operations and maximize adoption of MatrixCare. Make sure you are taking advantage of everything that is available to you!
Online Help offers quick, concise information on how to perform most tasks within SigmaCare by MatrixCare. It is accessible from the Help link at the top right of any page.
From Help the following tools can be accessed:
- Step-by-step instructions which can be printed for user reference.
- Short 1-2 minute demonstration videos on many tasks.
- Library of all SigmaCare Job Aids in the Job Aid Directory
MatrixCare offers a multitude of Reference Guides or Job Aids for every task within every module of the application. These Job Aids contain step-by-step instruction for tasks and cover multiple scenarios and possible options. They are a more in-depth reference for SigmaCare by MatrixCare functions and can be accessed from the directory in Online Help.
Stay up-to-date on new features and ensure your team is adopting the software. Participate in live, monthly product adoption webinars or access a recording of the sessions on-demand in Customer Connect.
eLearning courses, available in the Learning Center, are also a great and interactive way for new staff to learn the software. There are a total of 92 lessons that review the general workflow and functionality of every module in SigmaCare by MatrixCare Care Management. The lessons range from 5 minutes long to 15 minutes long, and each contains interactive exercises and assessments. The lessons can be taken once or several times either for initial the Support link at the top right of any screen within the application. Learning Center Trackers will provide your trainees with directions on how to access the Learning Center and enroll in the necessary courses, as well as a list of all the lessons included in the courses.
- MatrixCare Optimization
MatrixCare will perform an audit of your software use and provide recommendations and best practices for utilizing more features. This service will help increase the adoption of the software and make your staff more efficient, so they can spend their time providing quality care instead of shuffling paper.
- MatrixCare Training Assurance Plus
Ensure you have access to our 1:1 training and consulting resources year-round by signing up for the Training Assurance Plus program. MatrixCare continually evolves based on customer needs and industry/regulatory changes. This annual service is built into your subscription rate and guarantees you have the education necessary to stay on top of the changes resulting in better outcomes through the further use of MatrixCare.
- MatrixCare Certification
This is a service program to assess, test, and acknowledge MatrixCare users that are application experts. Being MatrixCare Certified opens the door to an elite community of other Certified users where you can network with providers across the U.S. and participate in discussions regarding future product use, workflow improvements, and staff engagement success.
Contact your Account Manager today if you have any questions or are interested in learning more about our Professional Services.
Overcoming Change Fatigue with Inspiring Leadership Best Practices
The Impact Act, Nursing Home Compare, Value-based Purchasing – yeesh. With change accelerating and Seniors Care organizations asking more and more of their people, leaders need a way of implementing change that doesn’t spread exhaustion and frustration. We’re here to help with Inspiring Leadership Best Practices … to Overcome Change Fatigue in long-term and post-acute care.
Join Patrick Hart, Vice President of Senior Living Solutions at MatrixCare and Senior Care Leadership expert, Mary Ellen Sanajko of Conduit Coaching, for a 60-minute, complimentary thought-leadership teleforum.
During this session we’ll discuss the points below plus field your specific questions:
- Change Fatigue- What is it? How do you spot it… in you or your team? And how is it different from resistance to change?
- How to prevent your staff from “catching” Change Fatigue… and how do you keep it from spreading throughout your building?
- What are the four key Transformational Leadership principles when your team is suffering from change fatigue?
Don’t miss this informative session on November 14, 2018, at 12:00 PM EDT.
As prep for above, please join the Conduit Coaching flagship LinkedIn group: Long Term Care Professionals Network.
Missed a live webinar? View a recording on-demand. Check out the latest:
Get Ready for the Patient Driven Payment Model (PDPM)
Presented on Thursday, September 6, 2018
In late July, CMS released the Final Rule for FY 2019 which “replaces the existing case-mix classification methodology, the Resource Utilization Groups, Version IV (RUG-IV) model, with a revised case-mix methodology called the Patient-Driven Payment Model (PDPM) beginning on October 1, 2019”. In this session, you will learn how PDPM differs from RUGS-IV and what you need to do to be ready for the proposed October 1, 2019 implementation date.
Access Customer Connect to view this On Demand Adoption Webinar.
Boost the Value of Your EHR Investment
As part of our commitment to be the most-connected LTPAC EHR solution, we have partnered with several leading clinical technology providers to bring you a more robust tool-set that enhances your existing MatrixCare environment.
Join us on Thursday, October 25, 2018, at 1:00 PM CDT for an informative session led by a panel of our certified partners on products and solutions that enable you to manage your organization’s printing needs, improve clinical outcomes, maintain HIPAA compliance, connect to health care providers and more.
Servicing the printing needs of healthcare facilities across the country as a main provider of compatible checks, check stock, forms, and supplies.
Software and devices that enable caregivers to seamlessly, accurately, and securely transfer clinical data wirelessly from bedside to the Electronic Health Record (EHR).
Managed print and IT services you can count on to remain HIPAA compliant and secure, with full-service packages or á la carte options to serve as your IT team or support your staff.
Connectivity to millions of healthcare providers via cloud faxing, Direct secure messaging, patient information query and patient care networks (referrals, ACOs, HIEs) guided by connectivity assessments and analytics.
New Quality Reporting Measures
CMS has published version 2.0 of the SNF Quality Reporting Program Measure Calculations and Reporting User’s Manual. This updated manual includes five new MDS based measures and new version of the Skin Integrity (Pressure Ulcer) measure. This manual is effective as of October 1, 2018.
- Drug Regimen Review Conducted with Follow-up for Identified Issues
- SNF Functional Outcome Measure: Discharge Self-Care Score for Skilled Nursing Facility Residents
- SNF Functional Outcome Measure: Discharge Mobility Score for Skilled Nursing Facility Residents
- SNF Functional Outcome Measure: Change in Self-Care Score for Skilled Nursing Facility Residents
- SNF Functional Outcome Measure: Change in Mobility Score for Skilled Nursing Facility Residents
- Changes in Skin Integrity Post-Acute Care: Pressure Ulcer/Injury
Data collection for the new Skin Integrity measure will begin on 10/01/2018. Reporting for the existing Pressure Ulcer measure will continue into 2019. From the manual: “Skin Integrity Post-Acute Care: Pressure Ulcer/Injury (CMS ID: S038.01), is publicly reported by October 2020. While the two measures will not be publicly reported at the same time, providers will see both measures on their Review and Correct reports for Q1, Q2, and Q3 of 2019. For the QM report end date of 09/30/2019, providers will see both the current measure and the replacement measure on the same report. This is due to temporary overlap between the two pressure ulcer quality measures as a result of the transition.”
Claims Management: Change Healthcare URL Migration
To support the transition of the MatrixCare Claims Management clearinghouse to Change Healthcare, the application URL has changed.
Only the new Change Healthcare web address provided below will work after October 28, 2018.
There are system updates required prior to October 28, 2018 to prevent service access issues. Be sure to review all the required actions below to prepare for the transition.
- Please start using the new web address prior to October 28, 2018; this is available immediately: ‘https://matrixcare.arm.changehealthcare.com’
- Update any desktop shortcuts and saved Internet Explorer® bookmarks.
- Update your browser settings. Instructions are included in updated Workstation Requirements. Do not remove the existing domain information until after October 28, 2018.
- Contact your system administrator or IT department to review and update firewall settings based on product web addresses and domain names. Do not remove the existing domain information until after October 28, 2018.
If you have any questions, please contact our support team at (866) 287-4987 or email@example.com.
Change Healthcare Conference Summary
A message from Amy Ostrem, Senior Product Manager
Over 900 people gathered in Phoenix, Arizona, the first week in October for the annual Change Healthcare conference. With over 160 education sessions to attend, the conference was packed with innovation and regulatory updates that stretched my thinking.
Change Healthcare is a 17-year partner of MatrixCare with a strong footprint in healthcare and expertise in payer electronic connectivity; processing 12 billion transactions and $2 trillion in claims annually. Change Healthcare supplies our robust claims clearinghouse capabilities to MatrixCare clients.
Attending this event and educational sessions ensures networking opportunities and learnings around optimization that MatrixCare clients can benefit from. In this article, I will focus on two key sessions that I found valuable from the conference:
- Success and Learnings in the Transition to Value-Based Care
- Looking Ahead (the Roadmap session)
Success and Learnings in the Transition to Value-Based Care
The Value-Based Care session was a panel discussion with two chief medical officers from different practices/environments and a senior director of consulting from Change Healthcare. Overcoming challenges and strategies were key components of this session, and as you would guess, the readmissions topic took the driver’s seat. Here are key takeaways that are demonstrating positive results:
- Educating patients/residents on when to go to the emergency room vs when to see their primary care provider
- Following up with patients/residents after they go home to ask: if they have questions, are they taking their medication, did they receive the additional supplies/equipment that was ordered, are they able to use the supplies and equipment properly, are they able to make it to their follow up appointments?
- Providing physicians, care coordinators, and your care network(s) with all the data from your organization that allows you to position it in the very best light: readmissions, outcomes, quality ratings. This way, patients and their families are making an informed decision vs just relying on a referral.
- Providing physicians with their data monthly or at least quarterly. Analytics knowledge is critical, and it will help and encourage a provider to further engage with patients. One ACO group gathered analytics on emergency room visits and challenged the physicians to work together on improving their statistics, efficiencies, and providing a recommended path forward. MatrixCare MyAnalytics offers a compelling variety of readmission statistics.
- Providing data to physicians to also help them generate a risk profile for their patients based on available benchmarks.
- Using readmission data to identify strong partners that will help decrease overall cost and provide more value to increase gain sharing across the continuum.
Looking Ahead (the Roadmap session)
In this session, we learned of upcoming projects and themes that Change Healthcare will be focusing on in the next 12 months. Expect to see energy and enhancements around: Denial Prevention, Revenue Recovery, and Enterprise Management. There is a data sciences team at Change Healthcare participating in these efforts, and there are three topics of focus as we approach 2019: Recoverable Denials vs. those not Recoverable (helping clients to assign priority on which to work first), Avoidable vs Unavoidable Denials (driving denial prevention), and Root Cause Analysis of Denials (enabling clients to drill down further into categories of denials). Claims Management Acuity Analytics was a hot topic as this additional denial reporting will be available there, along with expanded remit data available for reporting (which allows easier remit analysis in the event the remit is not tied to a specific claim). The buzz among Change Healthcare clients was that the Claims Management Acuity Analytics tool is a must-have for success in denial management. There are webinars and product information on this if you would like more information. Over 1500 claim-related data elements are supported in this tool that lays over the top of Claims Management.
We look forward to seeing you at the upcoming events. Be sure to stop by our booth and learn more about all the MatrixCare solutions available to you.
- FNCE 2018 | October 20 – 23, 2018
- HCANJ Annual Convention & Expo | October 23 – 25, 2018
- PCA Annual Conference | October 24 – 26, 2018
- MN Fall Aging Conference | October 25, 2018
- LeadingAge Annual Meeting | October 28 – 31, 2018
- CALA Fall Conference | November 5 – 7, 2018