Written by Amy Wootton, RDN, Director of Nutrition Management, MatrixCare
MatrixCare recognizes the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ National Nutrition Month this March. Finding resources to provide appropriate nutrition and evaluate the needs of your community members is key in helping them succeed in living a healthful life. Look to these 5 areas to ensure you are putting your residents in the best position to succeed:
- Be a Food Safety Ambassador– Have a no tolerance rule for poor food handling. Provide monthly education on food safety topics and follow proper food temperature control guidance.
- Menu Planning Management– Providing proper meals that meet the Dietary Guidelines is not just for regulatory purposes. Allow for time and dedication with your expert dietary team members to make meal planning an important job function. Have your menus reviewed by a Registered Dietitian.
- Provide Proper Portion Sizes– A scoop goes a long way! Make sure your portions not only meet the minimum nutritional guidelines but are monitored for risk of over-serving and contributing to your bottom line.
- Evaluate Nutrition Needs– Food Preference & Nutrition Assessments capture the true picture of your resident. Dietary professionals are key resources in providing an accurate nutritional care plan.
- Adhere to Diet Orders– To liberalize or not to liberalize is an ongoing conundrum. If a special diet is prescribed to meet the needs and manage disease conditions, adherence can be critical. Creating an agreed diet order formulary that is adhered to from order to delivery is the best standard of practice so that all team members and resident know what will be provided.
We are happy to help you meet these 5 critical areas through our MealTracker dietary software. MatrixCare offers nutrition software for your facilities that can encourage support your resident path to living their best life! Check out MealTracker and RetailTracker to see how we can serve you.