Nutrition series part 2: Serving up power nutrition to combat flu season and COVID-19 with Amy Wootton
In this episode of the Post-Acute POV, we sit down again with Amy Wootton, RDN, LDN, Director of Nutrition Management at MatrixCare to discuss immune-supporting nutrition strategies to reduce your residents’ risk and help speed up recovery during flu season and COVID-19.
Amy provides a wealth of information on important nutrients such as vitamin C, zinc, vitamin D, beta carotene, probiotics, and protein and relays the value of including foods that contain these nutrients in meal planning for resident dining.
Topics discussed during today’s episode:
- [01:06 – 02:17]: Amy dives into why nutrition is especially critical during flu season and the COVID-19 pandemic.
- [02:28 – 04:08]: Amy explains the importance of vitamin C as the only scientifically proven supplement found that can shorten common colds.
- [04:20 – 05:23]: Benefits of zinc in supporting immune function.
- [05:42 – 06:44]: Foods that contain vitamin D.
- [07:02 – 08:02]: Where to find beta-carotene, probiotics, and protein.
- [08:12 – 09:19]: Adjustments operators have made to meet residents’ nutritional needs during COVID-19.
- [09:40 – 11:50]: Amy wraps up by describing the benefits of using a nutrition management tool like MealTracker.
- Listen to part I of this podcast series.
- Learn more about MatrixCare solutions at: https://www.matrixcare.com/
- Find out more about serving up power nutrition during flu season and COVID-19
- Read the transcript of today’s episode
- Listen to more episodes of the Post-Acute POV
The content in this presentation or materials is for informational purposes only and is provided “as-is.” Information and views expressed herein, may change without notice. We encourage you to seek as appropriate, regulatory and legal advice on any of the matters covered in this presentation or materials.
©2021 by MatrixCare